BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Nuts

How do you like your nuts?
Smooth? Or maybe old and wrinkly?
Perhaps covered with prickles?
Anyone have an idea as to what these things are?
They are nuts. Grown on trees.

Here's another view


Give up? These are chestnuts or horse chestnuts or buckeyes. I'm not sure which as they're all closely related and look the same to me. Since I'm a native of Ohio I say they're buckeyes.

The pod has 2 pieces inside. I don't know if they're 2 halves of one nut or 2 separate nuts. When they first open up the nuts are shiny and a beautiful mahogany color with what looks like a grain of some sort. After a bit they lose their luster but still are pretty. I'd put them in a dish but my dog is very interested in them.
The nuts at the top are black walnuts. I didn't open them for you because they stain your fingers something awful. You'll have to wonder what they look like.

4 comments:

Kitten Herder said...

I like nuts in all sorts of ways. One of my recent favorites are curried cashews. And, while not exactly a nut, I love raw shell-less sunflower seeds. Peanut butter should be smooth. And, I like nuts by themselves. I'm not a fan of them mixed in with other foods (no nutty ice creams, or asian entres with nuts in them). I'm odd.

tornwordo said...

I was just dreaming about black walnuts a couple hours ago. I was wondering what they looked like still on the tree.

ME said...

Interesting, I don't think I've ever tried a buckeye before.

Anonymous said...

Buckeye!

I used to have one that I carried in my pocket. We Georgians consider them good luck for some stupid reason.

I need me a handful of them things!