BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Master Debaters

I'm not big into politics but do follow the presidential race. We were going to go to the movies and see Ghost Town but them McCain decided to man up and go through with the debate. We decided the movie can wait. Did you watch the debate last night?
Do I consider myself a Republican or a Democrat? Not really, I just vote for whom I think will do the best job once in office. If I had to say, I lean toward Democrat most of the time. I do not understand how people can vote the party line. Why in the world would a person vote for someone that may not be the best choice because he (and someday, she) is their political party's choice. I don't get it.
I have never been supporter of the Bush family. Not the father and especially not the son. In my opinion he has been and still is an embarrassment of a president. Without a speech written by someone else and a teleprompter he is an awful speaker. I cringe every time he opens his mouth. I cannot believe this man went to Yale. Through his actions and decisions he has personally turned much of the world against us. Of course we will always have those who hate the United States for whatever reason but the next president has the difficult job of undoing our reputation. Actually I'm pretty sure he's a puppet for others behind the scenes. He does what they tell him to. I'm also pretty sure W will go down in history as one of the worst presidents ever.
Back to the debate. My thoughts on McCain; I thought he came off as condescending to Obama. I wanted to slap the smirk off of his face. We heard a lot about where he's traveled in the past and what he's done in the past but not a whole lot about the future. I didn't like how he kept saying that Obama "doesn't understand". He came across as a know it all. Has there ever been a president that knew everything about every topic? That's what advisers and cabinet members are for. We all know he has more experience than his opponent. He's got 25 years on him. Does globetrotting make him a better president? I was impressed when he brought up the Teddy Roosevelt letters. I liked that he brought up Obama's earmarks.
My thoughts on Obama; I thought he did a good job. He looked at McCain much more than McCain looked at him. I thought he was a better speaker. I like how he agreed with McCain on some issues. I don't think it made him look weak. Could he stand to have more political experience? Yes, I think so and hope he surrounds himself with very knowledgeable people if he's elected. I thought he sounded a little naive at times or maybe idealistic. But overall I thought he had better ideas and I felt he cares passionately about the little people. The people that make less than 250,000 per year and boy do I fit into that category. I sounds like he's got his eye on the middle class and lower class and his goal is to help them get on their feet again, not make the rich richer.
It's thanks to our forefathers and the framers of the constitution who made it possible for me to express my opinions without fear of persecution and retribution.
One last word, I will say that I think the George did a great job handling himself and the country after Sept. 11 He unified the nation and did his best to calm a rattled public. While I shed tears the day we entered into the war on terror, I supported his invasion of Afghanistan to hunt for Bin Ladin. It needed to be done. When he fulfilled his father's dream to bring down Saddam and invaded Iraq for the second time, well those good feelings about him dissolved. If you want to be really shocked and awed and sickened, watch Frontline; Bush's War on PBS.
Another one last word, I am eagerly looking forward to the vice presidential debate next Thursday. I'll give up Survivor and Kitchen Nightmares for that one.

0 comments: