BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Bush Has Big Balls

You may wonder about the title but first: Today I'm home from school, I haven't felt good for the last few weeks, just not myself. To put it bluntly I'm experiencing "plumbing problems". Did you ever notice that when you research your symptoms online you convince yourself that you have several different things and none of them are good news. A little knowledge can be a bad thing. But if things don't change I guess a visit to the doctor is inevitable. Insert heavy sigh here. On with the rest of my post.


Ealier this week the headlines in my local paper and on a reputable
online news service sang out that President Bush wants more money for his war chest. To the tune of $189.3 billion, yes BILLION. I support our troops but should they still be in Iraq? My opinion, no, Afghanistan, yes. We should be focusing on the hunt for Osama and Al Queda.



I must say this guy has the biggest balls ever. On October 3 Bush vetos an expanded bill for children's healthcare, the Senate overrides his veto with enough votes (2/3's) but the House of Representatives fails to do so. Bush gets his way and children in this country get the shaft.



Today I'm reading the paper and see these little gems in an article called "Beyond the Headlines: The Budget" I'll type them exactly as they appear in the paper.



Special Education
The White House proposed a
$291 million cut to special education
grants to states, a 3 percent cut.
The Senate seeks another $748 million increase.





Nursing Education
Bush proposed a $44 million cut
from nursing education almost
one third of what was budgeted for
it in 2007. The Senate voted to add
$20 million.



Now I work in special education, I've seen what's out there. I wish Bush could have my job for a week to see what it's like and how we could use more money for more resourses. In my dreams I guess.

My son is a nursing student at a highly respected public university in the northeast. The government says that we are too rich to receive any financial aid for him. I swear the middle class is going the way of the dinosaurs. Someday in the not so distant future there will be 2 classes, the rich and the poor. Here we have a nursing shortage in this country and Bush wants to cut funds to help educate future nurses.. He does not see beyond his own wealthy little world.

Honestly, he's a lame duck making a mess for the next president to clean up.

I need a nap.

6 comments:

Kitten Herder said...

Napping is a healthy response to this situation. So is chocolate!

As soon as I read the tidbit about nursing education cuts, I got annoyed, since I too know about the nursing shortages. (I'm pursuing a second degree in Applied Technology in Health Care.)

While I want to chant the mantra of "just one more year", I keep reminding myself that our fellow citizens elected this short-sighted dimwit twice.

Anonymous said...

I'm in total agreement Summer....

This man has repeatedly shown me what is important to him....without the care of what Americans really want.

This personal war of his is costing us too damn much and yet, still we haven't actually waged war against terrorism, have we?

He's pretty much disgraced America and the next president has his hands full.

Sandi said...

I hope that you feel better soon... or go to the doc!

I agree with you also about the fund cutting..sigh.. who knows what will happen.

Michelle said...

Yeah...I don't get why the cuts to special ed and nursing. Makes zero sense to me.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.....but take a nap, that always helps me feel better hehe ;)

Kitten Herder said...

Naps are the best medicine. I think people who get to have one every day are the healthiest and sharpest people on the planet. (Why do I say "sharp"? Well, they probably are at the top of their game. But also, if they've figured out how to take a nap every day their brainiacs in my book!)

Gnomeself Be True said...

Ummmmm,
S-Chip.
I'm not in the habit of defending Bush, but he actually wants a 20% increase in current spening on S-Chip. Congress is sending him bills that extend the reach of the program to people as old as 25 and with family incomes up to 4 times the poverty level.
He's opposing it on the grounds that congress is trying to change it from a program to help poor kids to a simple move toward socialized medicine.
Congress could increase spending on the current program by 20% and get the bill passed today...but that's not on the agenda.