BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Photos by Anne Geddes
While chatting with my favorite friend last night the subject of having a baby in the house came up and the memories that come along with that.

Both of my babies are almost grown, ages 20 and a half and almost 17 so it's been a long time since there was a baby in my house. How I miss that. Well, honestly, not all of it. I miss the smell of a baby, a clean one that is, not a stinky one. I would go off to work and if I was lucky, my son's scent would linger on shoulder and I could smell him all day.




I loved the infant stage as my number one son just seemed to eat and sleep. I remember sitting in the recliner with him sleeping on my shoulder all snuggled into my neck. Heaven.

But then I loved the stage when they start to learn all sorts of new tricks, rolling over, sitting up by themselves, reaching for things (especially for me) and laughing. How can you not break out in a big grin when you hear a baby laugh?

Then I couldn't wait for my oldest to walk. What was I thinking? I missed the days when I could put him in one spot and he'd stay there. Oh, and then talking, couldn't wait for the day when he said that wondrous, magic word, "mommy". Is there any word sweeter than that? Until you've heard it 500 times in a day.

I remember the days when I would finally get to go to bed and I'd ask myself, "did I say anything other than "no" today?" Then I'd have to get back up and go in for one more touch of a little face.

What I loved was the wonder that I saw in my children's eyes. The everyday things that we take for granted but were new and exciting for them. Your children are all of your hopes and dreams wrapped up in a little bundle. I sometimes wonder how a couple could not want to have children and while I certainly respect their decision I can't help but feel they are missing something in their lives. Some people are not cut out to be parents and realize that. When you become a parent you look at the world differently. Things that you didn't notice or pay attention to suddenly come into focus. Sometimes the world is a kind and amazing place other times a dangerous and scary place.

While my house was once a home filled with whirling activity, noisy toys, crying, lost binkies, it's now filled with the sounds of computer keys clacking away with homework or more likely AIM, video games and voices that don't sound like children but young men.

0 comments: