BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I'm Smiling



Welcome Spring!! Oh, how I've missed you! You know Old Man Winter and I don't get along. He started out being very nice in November, December and the beginning of January. I thought he was a changed man. I would have sworn I had moved to Virginia. But, and it's a big but, his mild manner came to an end in mid January when all hell broke loose! I have no idea what pissed him off but between him and Canada, they bitch slapped us hard.






Now you may wonder, "what does she have against Canada?" Absolutely nothing. We visit Canada every year. My grandmother and her family were born in Canada. It is a beautiful country with friendly people. I love Canada. Except when it sends us their cold, arctic air. Then I'm not so much in love with them.

But back to that bastard, Old Man Winter. In February he dumped 2 feet of snow on us for Valentines Day. Is that any way to treat a lady? He caused ice dams on our roof which in turn caused a leaky ceiling in the living room and foyer. I'm not talking drip, drip, drip. I'm talking about driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip, get a bucket! I will say this though, after a 3 year drought of no snow days off from school, we had two this year! So thanks for that Old Man. I'd better start being nice to him. I know he's not finished with us yet. March and April can be cruel months in the North. We once had snow on Mother's Day!



I know that under the 8 inches of snow we still have on the ground, that the daffodils and crocus are beginning to peek through the dirt. I'm very pleased that day light savings came 3 weeks early. More sunshine when we get it.

Spring officially starts at 8:07 pm est tonight and I'm ready. Unfortunately, Mr. Winter is still having his way with us. It's cold today, only in the lower 20's but it's sunny and will warm up later in the week.

Now I can start to come out of hibernation. What I love about spring is the rebirth of the Earth. The trees that were so stark and naked begin to swell up with buds and then explode with bright green leaves. Sometimes overnight. The first trees to leaf out are the weeping willows. There's one near our house and I watch that tree from a distance, like a hawk, waiting for it to get that yellowish-green haze.











Flowers are one of my favorite things on Earth. They're such a delight for the senses. The colors, shapes, scents and textures are just gorgeous. If you've never done it before, as the saying goes, "stop and smell the roses", look at the details. You'll see what I mean.

It's not just the trees and flowers, it's the little animals; squirrels, chipmunks, migrating birds back to their summer home and yes, even insects. You know how I feel about them. A soft breeze with the smell of damp dirt. Sleeping with the window open. The smiling, happy faces. Everyone seems to be in a better mood. I know I will be.

I'll leave you with the words of George Harrison.

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
And I say it's all right
Little darlin' it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darlin' it feels like years since it's been clear
Her comes the sun, here comes the sun
And I say it's all right
Little darlin' the smiles returning to their faces
Little darlin' it seems like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
And I say it's all right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuUhZxkr194

1 comments:

Michelle said...

Today...I saw my tulips peeking out of the ground!! That is pretty good for Michigan :) Spring has sprung!!!