BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks




Baseball's opening day was yesterday. While I'm not a lover of the game, I am a lover of the atmosphere. In my city we don't have a MLB team but we do have the next level down. On a sunny, warm afternoon I like to go to the ballpark and soak up the scenery. The green grass of the outfield cut into the different patterns, the die hard fans, dressed head to toe in their favorite players garb and the silly games the club has the spectators play between innings.

I admire the beer man
who can run up and down the stairs and the food. Oh, the food. Our stadium has good food. You can get just about anything you want to eat there, even prime rib sandwiches. It's not cheap by any stretch and I think it's sinful to charge 4 bucks for a bottle of soda or water that you can get for $1.19 at the store. Sssshhhhhh, I always smuggle my own drink in. At the movies too.

One thing I always bring with me to a game is a book. While I love the atmosphere, the game itself is just sooooooooo slow. Can't they warm up the pitchers along the sideline while the other team is at bat? Why wait until your team takes the field? I suppose that's why they choose people to play the games, to amuse us. Me, I read a book. And I'm not the only one I see doing it.


My favorite baseball is Little League. Both boys played it. Number One was serious about it and was a great first baseman. Number Two, he was all about the dug out and the social part of it. Yes, LL moves even slower than the pros but it was social time for me too. One of us moms always managed to say, "hey, your kid's up!" Some of those nights are my happiest memories. Now the boys haven't played for years but I find out if any of my students play and for what team and will go to a few of the games throughout the season. I always make sure I have a concession stand token for them for after the game.

Plus opening day is another sign of spring which I need because the weather prognosticators say that Easter Sunday will be cold with snow. Jeeeeezzzzz

0 comments: